The aim of the role is to:
- Encourage young people in their faith in Jesus Christ through teaching, worship, fellowship, discipleship, prayer and mission
- Support the local schools and communities through support of young people
- Work with and develop a positive Christian presence in the Schools in Glastonbury
To develop and grow the youth work (10 – 18 years) of St John’s Church, Glastonbury.
In particular to:
- Develop and eventually take responsibility for the Youth Group, ‘ReMix’.
- Build relationships with the small group of young people connected with the church, providing opportunities for them to explore faith, building on the recent Youth Alpha Course.
- Develop relationships with the local secondary school, St Dunstan’s. Look for opportunities to provide a Christian presence in the school through a CU or similar (as agreed with the school).
- Find opportunities to work with years 5 and 6 children, to ensure consistency as they transition from primary to secondary education.
- Continue relationships and work with the two secular youth clubs in the local area (Red Brick YMCA & Glastonbury Windmill Hill Youth Club).
- Look for new ways of being Church in the newly refurbished Church building.
- Be an ex-officio member of the PCC.
- Be a member of the “Events” Team of St John’s.
- Link with the Town Council and attend appropriate meetings.
- Link with various young people’s groups within the town eg Scouts, Girl Guides and the young persons’ Town Council Representatives.
We have no preference to male or female
Driver is non essential as person based in town centre and public transport by bus is good for going to key areas eg Yeovil, Taunton, Wells, Bath
Needs to be able to communicate well with teenagers as expectation that this person will work in the local secondary school
Also good at networking
Able to work alone but also collaboratively within a ministry team of the Benefice of Glastonbury with Meare
Be reflective, prayerful and have a strong sense of Christian ethos
Enjoy having fun!
Enjoy working with different age groups of young people
Encourage others to tell their story
Be able to relate the Gospel in a practical way to young people
PCC Meetings bi-monthly : 7.30 – 9pm on a Tuesday (time to be taken off in lieu)
Glastonbury Windmill Hill Youth Club – Wednesday’s 7:00pm-9:00pm at Windmill Hill Youth Club, St Edmund’s Hall, BA6 8EG
Glastonbury Red Brick Youth Club – Friday’s 6:30pm-9:00pm at Red Brick Building, Morland Road, Glastonbury, BA6 9FT
Ready to Apply?
If you would like to explore joining SWYM then please fill in an application form, and one of our team will be in touch to discuss the next steps.