We are looking for trainees who are excited about:
- demonstrating Jesus’ love for young people
- offering practical, spiritual, emotional and social support to young people in our local schools
- encouraging young people to work out, own and stand for their Christian faith among peers, in school, and in the community
Trainees are encouraged to work to their strengths, whilst also developing confidence and abilities in areas of youth work that are new to them.
- providing input and support in lessons, especially religious education, citizenship, ethics and personal development
- providing pastoral support to students (and staff)
- organising and running lunchtime and afterschool clubs
- contributing to assemblies
- making contact with Y6 students as they prepare to move up to Y7
- helping to further links between local churches, youth clubs and schools
- encouraging young people to connect with activities and camps run by groups like SWYM
- presenting to local churches about the work of Connect
- producing a email prayer letter each half-term
- assisting with fundraising events
Trainees are supported through SWYM Cluster meetings each week, alongside a line manager who will evaluate the impact of your work and help with planning, and a mentor to help your own personal and spiritual growth.
- A personal Christian faith, and a desire to grow as part of a church community
- Enthusiasm for working with young people, and a knowledge of youth culture
- Able to manage own time and workload (with support from line manager), and act on own initiative
- Good communication skills
- Team player
- Able to reflect on work done, and its impact, and to contribute towards future development of Connect
- Confidence to work in a large secondary school, engaging with students and staff in a professional manner
- Prior experience of youth and schools work
- Ability to drive
- Willingness to commit to a long-term placement (2-3 years)
Monday - Cluster, Line Management & Study
Tuesday - Schools work - in lesson support/mentoring students/ lunch time club
Wednesday - Schools work - in lesson support/mentoring students / Local support group meets once every half term
Thursday - Study and preparation for clubs and school. Youth Cafe.
Friday - Schools work; Prayer space; Lunchtime games club; Connect Team meeting; Church or community youth club.
Saturday - Free time
Sunday - Personal church fellowship. Once a month Youth Service leadership.
This is a flavour of the opportunities in this placement as there are other options for engagement depending on the local needs together with strengths and interests of the trainee. One-off events and the occasional residential with a youth group should be expected.
Ready to Apply?
If you would like to explore joining SWYM then please fill in an application form, and one of our team will be in touch to discuss the next steps.