The SWYM trainee support the Youth and children’s Pastor at Weymouth Baptist Church, while at the same time shadowing and training under them. They will have the opportunity to take part in all areas of youth and children’s ministry which takes place in connection with the church, either in the church building or in other places as necessary. The SWYM trainee will be fully involved in planning and delivery of children and young people’s activities throughout the week.
1. To be a member of the teams which deliver children’s and youth activities through Weymouth Baptist Church: Kids on the Wey (Sundays), Sanctuary on Sundays, Youth Band, Girls Brigade, Youth Cell, Treasures Toddler Group, Kids Club and Sanctuary on Fridays.
2. The SWYM trainee will work towards developing the children’s ministry within the church and community, particularly working towards leading the kids programme on Fridays.
3. To attend planning meetings for each group and engage with team members, contributing to and implementing decisions.
4. Planning, preparing and delivering stimulating activities in each group along with others.
5. Mentoring young people, according to the church’s policy and at the request of the Youth Pastor.
6. Being available to shadow the Youth Pastor in his work in schools and taking opportunities offered.
7. To read, discuss and understand the church’s policies (Safeguarding, Equality etc) and to endeavour to apply them in daily work, thereby promoting good and safe practice.
8. To enable, encourage and be an example to children and young people.
9. To follow Jesus every day through devotion, worship and by serving. The Worker will be a member of the church and will be present for worship on Sundays. Manage time allocated for personal development.
10. The SWYM trainee will report to and be line managed by the Youth and Children’s worker.
Team & Management
The SWYM trainee will be managed by the Youth Pastor, who will provide on-the-job training and support. Day-to-day responsibilities will be managed by him, although leaders of the various activities/teams may also provide this support under his direction.
The Pastor of the church has over all responsibility for staff and advice may be sought from him, but generally support will be provided by the Youth Pastor.
• We are not at all expecting anyone to be perfect but to be teachable and willing to learn
Ready to Apply?
If you would like to explore joining SWYM then please fill in an application form, and one of our team will be in touch to discuss the next steps.