Working alongside the Youth worker and Children's & Families Pioneer to support and grow our work among youth and children in Portishead. Regular work includes:
- church-based youth house groups,
- Friday night youth group (open-access),
- junior-aged youth group (open-access),
- getting involved in church teams e.g. worship, set up, welcome, childrens work, youth work,
- supporting monthly 'Second Sunday' services for families
- mentoring and discipling young people,
- supporting young leaders to run Christian Union at our local secondary school,
- school assemblies
- starting something new that you're passionate about!
We expect the trainee to participate fully and seek to take a leadership role in these groups, as their experience grows.
Although we have selected 'Youth' stream, we would also be interested in applicants on 'Children & Families', as we are striving ever more to blend the division between 0-18's and working together as one team. The role is currently weighted towards youth, but please chat to Sarah.
We are looking for a passionate, spirit-filled, committed Christian, who loves children and young people, who would like to be part of what God is doing in GVC and in Portishead. You will be excited about sharing your faith, teaching and mentoring others, growing young leaders, getting involved in all aspects of church life and supporting and encouraging our young people to as well.
You will also have a passion for young people who have never connected with church and faith, and a desire to find ways to meet with them and draw them closer to Jesus, be that through involvement with schools, youth club, sport, etc.
You must also be/have:
- reliable, hard working and fun!
- willing to give things a go, make mistakes even, but get up and keep trying,
- enjoy working in a team and with volunteers,
- organised and self-motivated,
- a driving license and car, as Portishead isn't massively public-transport friendly,
- some experience of youth and children's work and a willingness to learn more,
- a desire to work collaboratively with other churches across the town and region,
- flexible to adapt to meet the needs of the role.
We have been really blessed by the gifts and talents previous trainees have brought and are looking forward to helping you find and explore yours. This might include a passion for mentoring, or sport, or worship, or sung prayers (!), or student ministry as per previous trainees, or something new...
Experience of running or participating in a Christian Union or other schools work would be great, but not essential.
Previous trainees have both stayed with a host family and in a self-contained flat. We can discuss your needs and take these into consideration.
Sunday - Church, involved in teams making service happen, including youth study group
Mon - Cluster and study time
Tues - Team meeting, Christian Union at Gordano, Secret Garden Club, Investigators kids club
Weds - Office prep time, Mentoring, Genesis youth house group
Thurs - Study day, Exodus youth house group (monthly)
Fri - Mentoring, Challengers Friday night youth club
Sat - day off
Due to the nature of the role, there will also be lots of one-off things to plan - youth events at the zoo, Noise social action, weekends away, Soul Survivor type event, school events like GSUS bus, Grill a Christian, Carnival/Christmas events, etc etc!
We don't have a strong separation between our children and youth teams at GVC, but see the role of this trainee to support both as needed, with a specialism in youth, however the timetable could be tweaked to allow for more time with children and families if the candidate is on that stream.
Ready to Apply?
If you would like to explore joining SWYM then please fill in an application form, and one of our team will be in touch to discuss the next steps.