Here in the beautiful Forest of Dean, we’re looking for someone who is excited about contributing to the growth of our existing youth work, both in the church and doing outreach.
You will be based in Mount of Olives Church in Coleford, and will sometimes work alongside another Coleford SWYM placement supporting other local churches. The aim is to have a SWYM team who can work together, but with each worker having a slightly different focus for outcomes.
You will be:
- Demonstrating Jesus’ love for young people
- Offering practical, spiritual, emotional and social support to young people in our local secondary school so that they can experience the ‘life in all its fulness’ that Jesus offers (John 10.10)
- Encouraging young people to grow in following Jesus in all areas of their life, and to draw others to him.
You will be encouraged to work to your strengths, whilst also developing confidence and abilities in areas of youth work that are new to you.
Responsibilities might include:
- Helping to run the ‘Ignite’ youth group, alongside the existing leaders
- Taking part in ‘Generation Church’ youth-run church services.
- Contributing to assemblies and lessons in the local secondary school
- Helping to run youth outreach groups such as Kintsugi Hope, holiday hunger programmes and job clubs
- Providing pastoral support to students (and staff)
- Organising and running lunchtime and afterschool clubs
- Producing an email prayer letter each half-term
- Engaging with other areas of church life where appropriate eg. Church events, Senior Citizen’s lunch
You will be supported through SWYM Cluster meetings each week, alongside a line manager who will evaluate the impact of your work and help with planning, and a mentor to help your own personal and spiritual growth.
- A personal Christian faith, and a desire to share it
- A willingness to grow and participate in the life of Mount of Olives Church
- Enthusiasm for working with young people, and a knowledge of youth cultures
- Openness to the rural culture of Coleford and the surrounding area
- Good communication skills with both adults and young people
- Able to work in a team or by yourself
- Ability to drive (with own car if possible), as this is a rural area
- Willingness to commit to a long-term placement (2-3 years)
(occasional) After school Study Off After school club Outreach group Off Off Off Evening Off Prayer meeting Off Ignite Off Off Generation Church (monthly)
Ready to Apply?
If you would like to explore joining SWYM then please fill in an application form, and one of our team will be in touch to discuss the next steps.