We are looking for an enthusiastic trainee youth worker to join our team as we move into an exciting new phase and we return to being able to work with children and young people face to face. The spiritual and emotional needs of young people have changed over the last two years and it is important to adapt to these. The trainee would work with young people, particularly in the 11-18 age range alongside an experienced Children’s and Families’ worker and a team of volunteers to plan, prepare and deliver a programme of creative and stimulating midweek and Sunday activities in an environment in which the young people feel safe and valued. The activities would support and develop those who are young in the faith and would be something that they would be excited to bring their friends to, where they, in turn, would hear the gospel.
The role would also include:
- Helping with the pastoral care of young people in the church, building good relationships with them and being available to them for counsel, mentoring and supporting their discipleship journey.
- Encouraging the young people to explore and use their talents to take an active part in the life and work of the church and beyond.
- Planning and leading the Banana Group who meet on Sunday evenings.
- Creating new opportunities to reach out to the local community through seeker-friendly family services, and special events eg Light Party and community days etc.
- Create links with local schools, supporting students and staff through activities such as Christian Unions, "Open the Book" assemblies and support in RE lessons.
- Helping to develop and encourage the volunteer team.
- Assisting with the implementation of the Safeguarding Policy.
- Sharing in the worshiping life of the church.
- A personal Christian faith, and a desire to grow as part of a church community
- Enthusiasm for working with young people, and a knowledge of youth culture
- To be willing to learn to manage workload and act on own initiative (with support from
- Willing to grow communication skills
- Team player
- Willing to learn to reflect on work done, and its impact, and to contribute towards future
development of the youth work.
- Sense of humour!
- Own transport
- Ability to play an instrument would be good but not essential
- Interested in football / netball / a sports person.
Weekly timetable – provisional only
Day Morning Afternoon Evening
Monday Cluster Cluster Study
Tuesday TAB Off Kids Clubs
Wednesday Schools Preparation Off
Thursday Line manager School CU Off
Friday Mentor/Study Preparation Youth Group
Saturday Off Off Off
Sunday Family Church Off Banana Group
Ready to Apply?
If you would like to explore joining SWYM then please fill in an application form, and one of our team will be in touch to discuss the next steps.