Responsible to: Wellington Baptist Church Leadership Team
Work base: Wellington Baptist Church offices and hall space, occasional home and external duties as directed.
Work area: Wellington, Somerset
Hours of work: Mutually agreed with South West Youth Ministries (SWYM) 32 hours per week, worked on a flexible basis. The Church Youth Worker will be expected to work Sundays. Time off in lieu may be taken in consultation with the Pastor and Elders.. Time off and Holidays: One full day a week (7 days) completely free of work, with 4 weeks holiday each year by agreement in addition to public holidays (with time off in lieu at Easter and Christmas).
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES OF THE POST:
- To be responsible for the development and delivery of the youth work programme, alongside volunteer teams, for school years 6-13 within WBC.
2 To establish other links with young people in the community for the purposes of pastoral care and evangelism.
- To encourage, enable and train volunteer leadership for youth work within the church.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES OF THE POST:
- To share as fully as possible in the worshipping life of WBC.
- To coordinate an evolving programme for the youth of the WBC which will cater for their spiritual and social needs. To develop opportunities for evangelism, conversion, nurture and discipleship of those young people in contact with WBC.
- To be responsible (with supervision and support) for the direction, structure and activities for the youth work at WBC.
- To develop the teams of committed volunteers to engage in sustained work with young people within the church.
- To exercise pastoral care for the young people within WBC and to be available to these young people for counsel and support.
- To develop work within local schools where possible (and with support).
- To foster links between the church and relevant local organisations, such as other churches and statutory bodies.
- To perform such other duties as may be reasonably required by the supervisors.
E = Essential
D = Desirable
Qualifications Knowledge and Experience
Experience with Young People (11-14) E
Experience with Young People (15-18) E
Experience with Parents and Families E
Statutory Requirements eg CRB, ISA, Immigration Status E
Training/Qualifications relevant to Youth work (or working towards) E
Safeguarding Training Level 3 - E
Driving Licence D
Abilities, personality and Person Skills
Passion for and ability to relate to Young people E
Help to lead, recruit, motivate and care for teams of volunteers E
Common sense E
Able to work independently (self-motivated) E
Able to work collaboratively / flexibly (Team Player) E
Time management, organisational ability and Flexibility E
Oral communication skills E
Computer Literacy (Word, PowerPoint, etc.) E
Communication literacy (Mobiles, Texting, social Networking). E
Outreach / Evangelism E
Pastoral / relational E
Creativity ability D
Written communication skills D
Financial management D
Encouraging worship D
Christian Faith And Character
A practising Christian with a passion for God E
Ability to explain the Gospel E
Personal Godliness – Prayer life, spirituality, bible reading E
Helpful and servant hearted E
Diplomacy, sensitivity and discretion D
Pastoral, Personable and Approachable E
Sense of humour D
Willingness to meet tight deadlines D
Willingness to travel. D
Ready to Apply?
If you would like to explore joining SWYM then please fill in an application form, and one of our team will be in touch to discuss the next steps.