Catalyst is a growing ecumenical charity supported by a number of churches in the Tavistock area. We are looking for trainees who will join in with and assist the full-time worker to help us:
1. Share the good news of Jesus Christ.
2. Connect the resources of Church with the needs of local young people.
3. Support Christian young people in their school environment, helping them to live out Christ-centred lives.
This will be split into three key areas:
1. You will work as part of a team of four in two secondary colleges (Tavistock College and Kelly College). 2. Each trainee will be placed within a local Church where you will gain first-hand experience in developing and implementing youth work.
3. You will work across the Churches in interdenominational youth and community work, as well as liaising with more local secular youth organisations.
These are agreed with your line manager, SWYM area coordinator, Church placement and the Catalyst Trustees. We will seek to use the strengths of each worker, as well as develop their skills and competencies over the course of the year.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- being part of a team, growing together in discipleship and fellowship
- contributing to school assemblies in Tavistock College and Chapel Services in Kelly College.
- developing a regular big band/music night
- partnering with the local youth service
- planning and leading drama, music and dance clubs
- helping to continue developing 4 Christian Unions
- mentoring a Year 7-9 student in College on a regular basis
- being part of a team, developing community events in the Colleges
- getting involved in planning inter-Church events, interactive prayer initiatives and outreach work - making presentations to local churches about the work of Catalyst
- working with the team, line manager and trustees to develop the work of Catalyst
- creating your own opportunities in the area
- Leading services and preaching at various points.
- Occasionally leading assemblies and year 6 work at local Primary schools
The SWYM area coordinator supports Catalyst trainees through a weekly cluster meeting and regular liaison with your line manager. You will meet with your line manager to discuss and plan your work and to evaluate its impact. You will also be provided with a mentor who will be there to help you in your personal and spiritual development.
Personal Christian faith and desire to grow as part of the church community Enthusiasm for work with youth and knowledge of youth culture
Able to manage your own time and work, with support from your line manager Good communication skills
Able to show good initiative
Able to reflect on the impact of your work and to contribute to and share in Catalyst's ongoing development
Confident to operate in large school communities and to relate in a professional manner to staff and students alike
Planning to stay more than 1 year Able to drive
full board and accommodation.
Catalyst will fund: SWYM training Travel costs Reasonable expenses incurred £30 per week for basis subsistence, paid monthly and in advance Full board and accommodation
Ready to Apply?
If you would like to explore joining SWYM then please fill in an application form, and one of our team will be in touch to discuss the next steps.