Setting: Preston Plucknett is an Anglican parish covering 16,000 people in the West of Yeovil, Somerset. We have 2 churches, St. James the parish church and St. Peters on the challenging Westfield estate. There are 2 secondary schools in the parish, and youth groups based at both churches.
Role: The primary focus of the role is reaching young people outside the church with the gospel, helping them to find faith and begin the discipleship journey. A secondary focus is to support and encourage the church-based youth and their leaders.
- running school-based Christian Unions and other outreach, (with the help of youth leaders from other Yeovil churches)
- supporting the youth leaders at LIFT (Sunday evening youth at St. James) and Tea and Toast (midweek youth group at St. Peters)
- mentoring young people
- exploring new ways to connect with youth across the parish. This could take the form of detached youth work, making connections with local uniformed organisations, helping at 'secular' youth clubs and drop ins
- helping the voice of young people to be heard in the life and decision-making of the churches.
This will be our 2nd SWYM worker, and we are looking to build on successful work in the 2 schools an on the Westfield estate in particular. We are also looking to build links with Yeovil Town Football Club (which was recently added to the parish), so that is another opportunity to make community contacts.
- A passion to help young people find and grow in Christian faith
- Ability to work with teams of volunteers, to lead and develop new teams, and to work as part of the wider leadership team
- Self-starter, able to initiate and create, whilst remaining accountable
- Good personal time management and organisation
- Being an advocate for the young people, able to speak up for them in the wider church context. Needs to be able to stand up for them, and stand up to them. Confidence.
- Potential to stay 3-4 years, rather than just 1
- The maturity to deal with some youth from challenging backgrounds (some of whom have come to faith)
- A good knowledge of the Bible and experience of teaching it with young people
Sunday - morning worship/youth section of 'Junior Church'. Evening 'LIFT' youth group.
Monday - staff meeting, 'Tea and Toast' youth group on Westfield
Tuesday - preparation, mentoring
Wednesday - School Christian Union, after-school club
Thursday - School Christian Union, line manager meeting
Friday - study, detached youth work
Saturday - day off
This would be adapted to fit around the SWYM timetable and requirements.
Ready to Apply?
If you would like to explore joining SWYM then please fill in an application form, and one of our team will be in touch to discuss the next steps.