Partners in Mission
Our church building is geographically at the centre of Alphington, which is a large village (about 8,000 people) on the outskirts of Exeter. We have the advantage of being only a 10 minute bus ride from a thriving city with culture, business and history in abundance yet at the same time have the benefits of a being a unique community with its own very special character, a place where people mix and meet in a variety of social and recreational ways.
As a church family we strive to be at the heart of village life too, representing and serving Jesus in a variety of ways; we run a weekly café in the newly refurbished Village Hall, a monthly lunch with fantastic home cooked food, a weekly toddler and parent group and numerous events throughout the year – a fete, plant sales, quizzes and much, much more. We believe it is our calling to go out to the people and not expect them to come to us.
In the past eight years the church has employed a Children and Families Worker and as a result we have developed a nucleus of children who have really settled into church life; however they are now maturing and needing different resources and activities to keep them engaged in their journey of faith. We are hoping that a SWYM trainee will help develop that area of need. In addition we know that there are few facilities in the village for teenagers and we dream of having somewhere for them to “hang out” and just relax after school.
We offer some low key opportunities for villagers who do decide to give us a try; they can pop into church 6 days a week for a coffee and a chat; dip their toes into a weekly afternoon relaxed time of worship called ReFresh, designed to be accessible to unchurched people as well as seasoned worshippers or they may just visit us occasionally for major festivals, exhibitions or to attend a funeral, wedding or baptism. We offer a varied diet of services with an emphasis on modern worship styles but try to ensure there are also opportunities for more traditional and reflective services too. Whatever the context we aim to give people a warm welcome with a positive experience of the love of Jesus.
What can we offer you as a SWYM trainee?
We are excited to be involved with SWYM as we feel we have the perfect environment ready to nurture someone who also wants to serve among the young people of this village. We will love and care for the chosen person and offer them opportunity to be part of our outreach activities as well as a full member of our church family.
We can also offer you a chance to work with and be supported by a very experienced and well-trained staff - our Rector, his curate and our Children and Families Worker as well as an active team of lay leaders and large group of volunteers.
We will pray for you regularly and encourage you to become a full and valued member of our church team.
We see our trainee working by: -
- Being a member of the staff team
- discipling a growing group of young people during our Sunday ReFresh service, helping their faith to go deeper as well as have fun.
- developing small group sessions for social opportunities and Bible study.
- Working at our local secondary school on Christian projects.
- Involving young people in special events: Christingle, Mothering Sunday, all Age Worship
- linking up with Unlimited Church, ICE (Initiative In Christian Education) and local other youth organisations.
- participating in appropriate aspects of village life.
- being a regular worshipper with St Michael’s Church
- being a pastoral support to our young people
- encouraging new links with village organisations - sports club, Scouts, Guides, the Village Hall and Community Association etc.
- being involved in confirmation classes as and when needed.
Ideally we would like our trainee to have the following personal qualities:
- a firm and active Christian faith
- some previous experience of leading/ helping with youth work in church
- a perceived vocational calling to work with young people in a faith setting
- competent in IT skills
- flexible, energetic and enthusiastic
- an enabler and encourager
- a willingness to learn from others and accept advice
- be prepared to take risks and learn from mistakes
- a team player and good communicator
- interpersonal skills with all ages
- an ability to work within the safeguarding and confidentiality guidelines
- a good Christian role model
- last, but not least, a sense of humour
We realise someone with all these attributes probably doesn’t exist! We will endeavour to help the trainee develop and grow to pursue their goals, whatever they might be. We hope the time spent in our community will be happy and fulfilled and show a real growth of personal discernment and calling.
See Job description
See Job description
Monday - Cluster and Planning
Tuesday - Unlimited church meal and service
Wednesday - Communion/Open Church, Schools work
Thursday - Staff prayer meeting and line management, discipleship group
Friday - Planning & Prep, YouthCommunity
Saturday - Day off
Sunday - Church, Lead youth at Refresh service
Ready to Apply?
If you would like to explore joining SWYM then please fill in an application form, and one of our team will be in touch to discuss the next steps.